Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The highs and the lows of a week

I've had a bit of a tough week.
Until yesterday I was still sulking.

I took this picture of that fig tree I have had my eye on.



Planning that the next day I would very discretely aquire my bounty, BUT I the next day I found this. (sorry it was windy and the my images look like a drunk person took them)
The possums had struck!

So I have been sulking, until the others started to ripen and I had renewed hope...

I decided not to risk the fruit over night again and picked it, though it was not totally that dark bruised purple colour I would want from this type of ripe fig. But I just could not risk being that picky.

And then my boundy was realised, and I remembered why I was desperately stalking these poor figs. This truely is the most amazing tree, the fruit has a intense level of sweetness, yet it has a high level of acid and a fleshy firm textured seed crunch. The fig was heavy and full of tiny blooms, not somewhat hollow as some can be.


These really are the most intense fruit. I am uncertain if they are so remarkable because they are so fresh or whether it is the specific type of fig, but it was started a new stake out in my mind... one for a tree trimming.
(And I'd probably ask this time, I'm a terrible thief. I've been paranoid that my neighbour is on to me for days.)
I wonder if I could sprout a small trimming and then plant my own amazing fig tree, I'm not sure if it works this way.
Any hints?
Jack

11 comments:

  1. LOVE that photo of the fig in cross-section, Jack! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Percy Possum is thinking, "I'm gonna have to get in earlier if I want those figs. I was hoping to have it ripen and just 1 day early that human went and took it off the tree. At least when I have some I leave a bit for everyone else!!!"

    Figs are so beautiful aren't they? And here's my other question, are all figs edible? We have some fig trees near us, and they're not the plump juicy looking type, but the fruit just falls to the pavement and I wonder about it when I walk past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack they're dead easy to grow. Just throw a couple of pussum mangled ones into the soil and you should get at least one plant.

    Grocer most figs are edible, but some just don't taste great. I don't think however that it is advisable to try fruit from one of Sydney's huge Moreton Bay Figs - I think they are inedible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...oops dyslexic typing. I meant to say possum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all.
    Sticky I may well just give it a go, I'll let you know if I get some shoot success.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought a few the other day from the grocer in Carlisle Street and just had them with a bagel and some goats cheese, it was a meal for a queen (kinda).. Vida x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vida, you are reading my mind... I made some fig jam tonight to post on the weekend and has going to prop it up to photograph with some fresh curd cheese and a crumpet...
    Great food minds think alike
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jack, if you're ever over the Footscray-ish side of town, drop me an email... those figs look just like the ones growing in our metre wide strip of yard. While we seem to only have green or over-ripe 'stretched' ones, if you want a cutting you'd be more than welcome to help yourself. And if you know when a fig should be picked, come have ours, as we don't really know, and only the kids like them anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a shame SMD, I can't believe you don't like figs! More for the kids then!
    Thanks for the offer, I have spoken to my neighbour and am going to take a cutting in Spring when apparently it best to sprout then.
    Cheers
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  11. your adventures with this tree just make me laugh.

    the neighbour is onto you jack! watch out!

    ReplyDelete