Saturday, May 23, 2009

The last tomato

Could this be Melbourne's last tomato?

Being strictly of the seasonal food camp, it has greatly amused me that my tiny courtyard garden has proven to be so unseasonal this year.

When everyone else was experiencing bumper crops of tomatoes, my heirloom bushes barely had a flower and the fruit that did eventuate died in our desert like heat wave of 40+ degree temperatures.

And now when I should have pulled out the dying vine months ago (but I held out hope for this tiny slowly growing tomato), I have this a gorgeous Black Zebra tomato, my last.



As you can see from the first picture, the vine is totally dead apart from the one stem holding on to my tomato, just grown in a pot in my sunny courtyard in St Kilda.

Weird unseasonal stuff huh!

2 comments:

  1. It's been a strange year. We've got rather watery late strawberries and a whole load of green ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i still have tommies but they should be pulled out this week i think as the plant is dead - there are still many green ones that are slowly ripening though.

    and ed we also got a crop of strawberries. weird. they actually tasted really good and sweet though

    ReplyDelete