Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Bar Lourinha

Until Bar Lourinha came along a few months ago, if you wanted a smart tapas bar MoVida was the only place. There is now a bit of a divide, the MoVida fans and the Lourinha fans, and the fence sitters.

I have to say I enjoy both, but if I wanted to make the tapas a meal, MoVida is my choice. If I wanted to have a drink and watch the people come and go, Lourinha is my pick. I enjoy the food at both but I get a sense of refinement from MoVida, Lourinha offers what a feel is more of a true Spanish tapas reflection (I will be in Spain later in the year, so I can reflect upon that when I get home), it’s not meant to be tricky, it’s just meant to be tasty.
The staff at both are slick, educated and enthusiastic, yet again MoVida gets my vote for the staff also offering a level of ‘bar theatre’ for lack of a better term. I nearly on occasion, begin to start butting in on the in-house jokes and jibes myself, it reminds me of a big family dinner where there is always some type of long running and excruciatingly hilarious bagging going on. Love it.

What are your thoughts? MoVida vs Bar Lourinha

Jack

10 comments:

  1. Lourhina wins my vote. It is easier to get into offer better value and I think they are a bit more friendly. The food is more rustic there and Movida's more polished. If I visit Movida I prefer the bar. I don't know why but I just don't like sitting in that blond wood space.
    In the end both are good but Jesus Christ do foodies have to wank off so much over Movida. I guess I'm priveledged with my family's Iberian connections so none of this is new to me but I think people should get a grip or get out a bit more.
    Sorry, getting carried away there and I haven't had a drink for two days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed, sounds like you need a glass of tempranillo with a plate of fancy acorn fattened ham! hehehe
    I totally agree with you about the bar spots at MoVida, I wouldn't sit anywhere else.

    I should also put it out there, I'd love any dining tips in Spain. San Sebastian is high on my hit list. Suggestions?
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack, are there any Spanish bars in Sydney equal to these two Melbourne places?

    I heard about El Bulli and Bodega...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately I haven't been to Sydney for a eat fest for a while, but I have heard good things about Bodega and can't wait to go. I know its not strictly speaking tapas but I trust that Bentley Bar is very good. From what I hope to see in a few months when I am off to Spain, Brent Savage is doing some very interesting takes on modern 'small plates'.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bodega is very good. I keep meaning to blog it but other things keep happening. The best advice for San Sebastian comes from Anthony Bourdain in A Cook's Tour. While you are there you should at least pop down to Marques de Riscal where you can pick up Rioja for under $15 a bottle and enjoy the Frank Gehry hotel. I'm thinking about a visit for new year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently went to Movida, and well enjoyed my visit. Lourhina is still on the list :-)

    But I agree with Ed - I felt quite uncomfortable sitting in the "blond wood space". I never felt I could relax and settle in for the night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jack, Mellie pointed me to your post since I've also been to both Movida and Bar Lourinha.

    I would say that I totally prefer Movida over Bar Lourinha. Everything at Movida is better, from the atmosphere, to the food, to the wait staff and the prices.

    To Ed, sorry if we get carried away but I don't get many chances to eat Spanish food and also the cost factor is an issue. I'm just starting off in the work force and make very little money so eating at Movida is a luxury rather than an everyday occurrance. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds good Jack, I'll be reading about your comparison of the restaurants to "real" Spanish food in Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Movida is a rip off. Simple. Tapas is gay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am probably WAY too late to comment but I will anyway... MoVida get's my vote, it is my namesake after all!!! Vida x x x

    ReplyDelete