Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Food Bloggers Banquet

This is already old news in the blogging community, where I think all attendees except me have posted on this get together... so here is my bit or was that bite??

Held at the St Kilda Vegout community gardens about 20 of us meet and shared dinner, food opinions, dining tips and in my case acquiring much needed blog advise.

I had the pleasure of meeting, Ed, Vida, Duncan, Sticky, Claire, Anna, Katie, Jamie, PG, Cindy, Josh, Elliot, Sarah, Thanh, Jon and a few blogging partners.

My contribution to the night was more in a support roll, I don't have the glory of the macaroons, the intensity of the secret sauce, the elegance of the barramundi or the will to get my fingers dirty and swish the dough (thanks Ed for making it and Katie for turning it into pizzas).

Apart from the macaroons that I should not continue to go on about, as I worry that Duncan will throw in the writing, for a career in macaroon making and we will miss his words... I have to say I ate (without even thinking...) a silk worm pupa. Googling this tonight after thinking about my dumb, eagerness to eat anything I stumbled across one of the funniest posts, which makes me feel even sillier for my dumb eagerness. Thanks Ed!

Not that I regret my dumb eagerness, I have never not eaten something offered to me (I only didn't eat the cockroaches in Asia, because I was unsure about the etiquette with the wings, to eat or not to eat??) And I have to admit my eagerness has gotten me in trouble before so I should be more aware, yet all I can say is they tasted nothing like chicken, more like a witchery grub in fish sauce!
Jack

10 comments:

  1. Hey Jack, I read that post too and still dove right in, so I have no excuse at all, they were just plain awful. Perhaps there is more to recommend them before they hit the tin, 'cause why would anyone go to the bother of canning them...it's completely beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, i avoided the silk worms. the thought of them cultivating in my sister's wardrobe still gives me a chill down my spine.

    as for the role of jack... hmmm support role? I am not so sure. you see, you had an integral part in getting the first successful pizza together, egging me on to actually make it, and the next, and the one after.

    your ingredients contribution was inspirational, your glass of leo buring riesling tied me over to the return of Nathan, and your conversation inspiring.

    i feel like a sycophantic cheerleader today, but every post I have visited is humble; perhaps the thing to gleen from this is that we were all humbled by each other
    perhaps this could mean that (a) we are in good company; (b) that despite these relationships being virtual, that we do have something in common; and (c) whether we think it or not, we are all capable in this good company?

    I don't know but i have found the experience somewhat liberating... and i hope it's not a one-off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Jack, love to read you!! I avoided the pupa and admire you for trying anything you are given but it's never gonna be me!!! I was extremely pleased to meet you and hope we will do it all again sometime... Vida x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack, it was great to meet you. Your tales of the restaurant industry was very interesting to me.

    I too tried the pupae. It wasn't all that yucky, but not exactly delicious. Luckily I wasn't allergic to them. It would have been funny trying to tell the doctor that I had an allergic reaction to silk worm pupae.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Neil
    Sorry i missed you on my list, i remember that you were there early now, gosh I was there until nearly everyone left, obviously had a too good of a time.
    Grocer, looking back at the photos it was a support role but I'm cool with that, yes we did get the first 'right' non-burnt pizza. Thanks for getting your fingers mucky! Great to meet you, good luck with the project. Please keep dropping by the melbourne blog sites.
    Vida, lovely to meet you in person, looking forward to bumping into you, not in your shorts (or I wouldn't see you then would I...!)along carlisle one day, perhaps a coffee and a to-die-for-custard-tart at the wall?
    Thanh, it would be a strange conversation with a doctor, I loved the linked post, so funny, do you agree with the nutty, fishy flavour with a little bit of a firm and slightly crunchy texture? Neil? Do you agree?
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  6. You brought a great warmth to the event, I thought:) And this post of yours is lovely to all.

    You wrote "I worry that Duncan will throw in the writing, for a career in macaroon making and we will miss his words"... a very kind thing. Mind you, you're not wrong - if I had access to a commercial kitchen I'd happily ditch half the stuff I get up to (though maybe not the writing) and just bake my way to freedom. LOL

    We all look forward to your next intrepid scary-food consumption;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You say when and I am there!!!! They are yummy tarts, they do a little sour cherry number that I am partial to as well, perhaps we should do a taste test, purely for research purposes, you know for our blogs, yeah!?!?!? Vida x x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jack, the description by that blogger of the taste was spot on. It was really nutty and had a crunch. And then when you bit into it more, there was that salty water fishy taste. Spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Duncan you shouldn't say things like that, access to commercial kitchens is what I do! If you are ever seriously tempted drop me a email, there is always a market for quality...
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  10. No you're not last. that will be me when I emerge from this word heavy week. Good to finally meet.

    ReplyDelete