Saturday, November 3, 2007

Reflection

I'm trying to recover today from a huge few months at work, yesterday was my 'Everest' and now the following week holds the safe trek back down the metaphorical mountain. After a brush with fame in the local papers yesterday and today, I've taken a moment to reflect on what I have achieved outside of work in September and October.

So a couple of blog worthy highlights...
A serious food styling gig.
It's funny how when you slip out of something by accident, that you don't realise how much you love it until you do it again. I remembered a few weeks ago how much I love to be in a professional studio making food look pretty. The shoot (on a Sunday) was for a sandwich chain, and it was all about 'fluffing' the sandwiches to look as opulent and healthy as possible. It's such a strange world in a food shoot, you can actually forget your working with an edible product and start more looking at contrasting colours, highlights and smart angles to flatter the 'hero'. Here's a few of my happy snaps of the shoot.

The preening queue.


The 'hero' of the moment and the collection of tools that help bring it to life for the lens.
At the end of the day. The tagged list of shots, so we can track the difference from one wrap/sandwich/foccacia to another.

Other highlight as been the rediscovery of a favourite breakfast spot. A few months ago my favourite 'eggs place', Las Chicas, changed hands and hence my favourite coffee makers/eggs servers moved as well. So to track down the perfect caffe latte and smiley face, PDC and I have been travelling further along Carlisle St to The Galleon, St Kilda for weekend breakfasts.

This is a picture of my new usual, Bagel No3. A toasted bagel with crushed avocado and slices of smoked salmon. It comes with the cute wedge of lemon on top, all for the, how-do-they-make-any-money-off-this price of $8.50. I have mine with a single poached egg on the side (for an extra $2) of which I open the bagel up and eat on the salmon side, and then squeeze the lemon on the avo spread other side and munch after. A perfect breakfast in my book.

Another highlight was dinner with visiting family at Rockpool, Bar and Grill. I will not be doing a full write up because of PDC's conflicting interests there but I do list the little beef degustation that we created as a highlight.
The four of us shared three steaks for main course, all the house aged, grass fed Black Angus, but in different cuts and aging maturation. There was a large 700g ribeye, grilled on the bone and sliced, a 400g rump steak, and a 300g sirloin. The exciting thing was to be able to taste a different cut of meat after another and fully appreciate the differences in texture and flavour richness. Surprisingly the rump was the winner for flavour, it was aged the longest so perhaps this helped but offered a texturally firmer and meaty lusciousness. A very interesting little taste test.

I'll be back to normal posts shortly, looking forward to a few fancy meals out in the next few months and catching up with other food bloggers at the Bloggers Banquet that Ed has been organising on the 12th.
Jack

6 comments:

  1. Now that's some pertinent info, Jack! I fell in love with a breakfast bagel and Las Chicas last summer. Then just yesterday I visited the Galleon cafe for the first time and was just as impressed with its menu. (Blog review to come, naturally...)

    I wonder whether Las Chicas is maintaining its past high standard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack, do they ever use larger sizes in the food photos. Like burgers and such always look humungous than the real thing.

    Also, do you ever spray artificial colour on the food to make them pop out more. They must use oil sometimes to give it a glistening look rather than that dull look you can get with meat?

    What a wonderful world to work in, sounds so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    Vida; looking forward to putting faces to blog pages!
    Cindy; I still go to Las Chicas a bit as well, it can be inconsistant and I have noticed they not nearly as busy as they use to be! One day my food was 3/4 an hour an other time 10 minutes, not very good for newspaper reading, planning!
    Thanh; it seems glamorous but trust me its a whole lot of crawling around the floor under camera equipment with tweezers and mini paint brushes! I haven't seen larger food being photographed it funny how food can 'pop' through a lens with a bit of correct lighting and angles. I did do a shoot with Jenni Craig once and we had to use mini dishes so the portions looked bigger...
    Food is always painted and preened, I only ever use other food friendly ingredients to colour or gloss etc mostly because I am familiar with the textures etc, artistic paints and dyes are a whole other world.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. We eat at The Galleon too (our fav place, actually). I love the Potato and Chorizo Salad and the Meatball Burger. Yummy!
    We weren't too impressed with the service at Las Chicas though. We gave it a go a few times, but we don't bother now. Its a shame because their food is the best on Carlisle St. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jack,

    Was lovely to meet you last night. I just read your post about Ladro. Nice call. I had the ravioli a week or so ago and it was really good. I really like Ladro, nice place, always buzzy and well priced!!

    All the best,

    Josh

    ReplyDelete