Monday, October 29, 2007

Ladro is still hot...

Unfortunately for readers of this blog, I am often too vain to take photographs in Melbourne restaurants, which was the case at Ladro last weekend. I just can't bear it to drag out my camera and make all the waiters look at the tourist taking photos, generally, and I know this is a bit of an oxymoron for a food blogger that loves restaurants, I think cameras don't belong in restaurants.
When I worked as a professional waiter and would be asked frequently to take a group shot of guests, my cheeky line would be, "Well, I can't guarantee you will have heads... " hehehe
Anyway thats my excuse for not having any photos from Ladro.

Ladro must be in its 3rd or 4th year now and I have to say that it is as 'hot, hot hot' as it has ever been. Great food, interesting well priced winelist and smart, passionate service (and Geoff, my favourite waiter...!)
I'm very fond of classical flavours and was excited to see stracciatella soup. Whenever I see it on a menu, I have to order it. A classical rich chicken broth with whispy bits of egg white, parmesan cheese and parsley. The Ladro version was a classic and as I would expect a perfect example of what I love about the place. Simple, elegant and produce driven.
Love it.

October dish of the month
Stracciatella - Ladro

Jack

10 comments:

  1. Oooh, do they still have the stuffed fried olives at Ladro? So sinful but sooo good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had olives stuffed with taleggio and then fried... quite naughty. But as was the porcetta roast, but hey you only live once!
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never been.

    Must go. I never get my camera out either. Hate being gawked at...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will check out their website. Vida x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ladro seems to have a good formula down pat.

    I'm half Asian, and most of us are obsessive about food and extremely snap happy. My family have been taking photos of restaurant meals long before the advent of the internet. Taking a snap of great chow has never been an issue to me, more a reminder of a wonderful meal and most restaurants don't mind. These days if I take an especially tjuzzy shot I'll also email it to the venue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive tried to get into ladro for quite a while and always try too late and they are booked out. it seems to be the story of my life

    I take my camera to restaraunts and then chicken out. I just feel bad doing it. Plus i think if the light is bad as it often is, there is no way i am using the flash!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must try Ladro one day. Sounds great. Tomorow I am going to Ezard and will be taking photos. I use to be far to embarassed to take photos of food, but after becomming involved in blogging and speaking to restaurants most seem happy for diners to take photos. The lighting thing is an issue though. I usually take pictures with my phone camera, which has a built in flash (but a very subtle one) that does not annoy others. If using a real camera I will only use a flash if its a very buzzy place, where it will not annoy others. The phone camera though is convenient and not really annoying, even though the quality is not the best.

    Jon! (Melbourne Foodie)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the support on the camera issue. When I started my blog I went out and got a new fancier mobile with the best available camera to take sneaky photos, but the quality is still crap. The light is aways an issue unless dining at lunch.
    I agree, that restauranteurs don't mind people taking photos of the food but I just don't like the attention drawing aspect of it. Funny thing is that John Lethlean has been taking photos of his food at restaurants for a while, helps when he writes the review aparently... but I think I like to be bit more discrete.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you re: whipping out a camera to take pics. It's hard to be discreet, and it's not worth it for fuzzy photos. Not to mention long suffering companions who wait patiently while the food is being snapped at!!

    Have been meaning to revisit Ladro and your post has tipped me out of my laziness! Thanks for the tip on the stracciatella!
    It's been a while though, we only tried the pizzas and hot chocolate (excellent from memory?)- were there any desserts of note?

    ReplyDelete
  10. jfox; I didn't get to dessert at Ladro I had already stuffed myself by that stage. One dish that I do always have is the fried battered cauliflower with caramelised onion, can't remember the proper name but its a constant on the appetisers and a favourite.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete