Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Roast goat

I was inspired by the sticky roast goat that I ate as my last meal in San Sebastian, Spain, when I saw the suckling goat signs at Prahran market. Enquiring about the different cuts, I brought the shoulder and then came home to work out how to cook it...
After referencing several sources and being surprised at the lack of listings for goat or kid in others, I settled on a slow, wet cooking method with hot dry heat at the end. To be honest essentially I was making up, but knew that if it worked, I was really(!!!!) on to something.

Roughly the recipe for my roast goat is
~1.5 kg of goat shoulder
~3 carrots
~half a celery
~a leek
~garlic
~lots of rosemary and thyme
~light stock (I used chicken)
~dry white wine

Dust the shoulder in well seasoned flour and then brown all over in extra virgin olive oil, in the roasting dish you intend to bake it in.
Remove the goat and add the roughly chopped vegetables and lightly caramelise
Position the goat on top of the roast vegetables and with half stock half wine cover the bottom of the pan up to where the goat sits on top of the vegies.
Cover tightly with aluminium foil
Bake in a 180C oven, turning every 40 minutes until the meat is tender enough to feel loose on the bone when you wiggle it with the tongs, mine took about 2.5 hours.
Remove the foil, heavily salt the skin of the meat and turn up the heat and on the oven fan if you have one.
Brown until it looks dark golden brown and is tender to touch.
Rest the meat.

During the final stages, I cooked some truffled polenta that was served quite wet and sauteed some asparagus and peas as a little side dish (you can see it below, in the background).

The meat was flaked off the bone and plated with the polenta and drizzled with a little of the reduced goat cooking broth.

I know I am biased but this was one of the most interestly, simple yet divinely sophisticated meals that I have cooked at home in a long time.

I usually struggle with eating left overs, but these where eagerly treasured...even better than the first time around.

Jack

8 comments:

  1. Looks delicious and your photos have all the colour back in them, double the fun!!! I think I might walk to the market today!!! It's Luis' birthday and he requested lamb but I have a better idea NOW! Thanks Vida

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know it was at Prahran Market, I've only ever seen scrawny stuff at the Vic, where you have to take what you are given. Which stall has it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goat is a really regular meat in our house (about once a week) so I'm delighted to see I'm not alone in my fondness! It's supposedly a lot lower in fat than beef and lamb and if you cook it in ways that ensure it keeps its moistness, I personally prefer it to both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi All

    Vida, hope yours works out as well as mine, it was amzing even if I do say so myself! My images have been a bit dark as I am too vain to use a camera in a restaurant, so use the camera in my mobile. Otherwise at home, its usually at night when I cook, so the opportunity of natural light is low. I'm working on some solutions.

    Neil, the stand is on the Essential Ingredient side opposite from Claringbolds Seafood and the organic meat place. I think it is called ...(something)...Poultry and Game. They had a great selection of goat and especially venison cuts.

    Truffle, I probably would not have bothered with the goat if I was not thinking about the goat in Spain, it was definately a highlight!
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMmm Jack it looks scrummy! We love goat, rabbit and venison because they are tasty, high in protein yet low in fat, which is important because Mr Stickyfingers is training to cycle 'Around The Bay In A Day' and a lumpy physique does not befit Lycra Man!

    I do my goat en Daube in the pressure cooker, as a light curry in a claypot or roasted Greek style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neil and Jack, I passed it today at the market and it's called CHESTERS meat and poultry and they looked terrific. Vida x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jack
    Thanks for posting this, I picked up your link via Zoe's site.

    I"m another goat lover, practised at rojan josh, and have now been roasting as well.

    I'm doing a roast shoulder tonight with oil, honey, lemon, lemon zest, baharat spice mix (my own), garlic, white wine, tomato, dried oregano and chilli. I'll let you know how it goes!

    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi guys,

    My name is Olivia and i am the owner of JOHN CESTERS POULTRY & GAME at the Prahran Market. I am so glad that u have enjoyed the amazing goat that we have to offer. It took us a while to find a great supplier but now we have had consisant produce from them for a while now and are so proud of all the produce we sell. We are famous for our vast array of game meats including venison (fresh!) duck, rabbits (incl. fillets), quail and all poultry cuts.

    Come down and introduce yourself. if i'm not there ask for Dennis my 2IC and he'll be able to help you out. Or try our Victoria Market stall, The Corner Chicken Shop in the Dairy Hall, although Chris (my fiance) doesn't do as an extensive range of game like I do at Cesters.

    Hope to catch up soon

    ReplyDelete