Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Saint Marcellin I had on the train...

I was thinking about the last post and remembered that I took a bit of a tongue in cheek image of our lunch on the fast train from Paris to Lyon. All the bits were brought from a morning Parisian market (except for the 1/2 bottle of Beaujoulais, of which PDC brought back very proudly when he went looking for a bottle of water! Only in France I can assume...?)
The pot the cheese is in is the same one that was in my previous post that we brought home, but the key thing from this image is the sticker that I was looking for. It clearly is labelled 'lait cru' - raw milk, this was the remarkably rich and luscious St Marcellin and yes definitely superior to the pasteurised product available in Australia. One consistent factor is through, the incredibly ripe state of which we enjoyed it, the knife wasn't required just a crusty bit of baguette as a spoon and a quick tongue to stop it dripping everywhere.
Jack

2 comments:

  1. Oh stop it! I'm jealous. What a great picnic and lovely description of the eating of the St. Marcellin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I miss cheese in Paris, there is nowhere better in the world for the cheese lover, it is the place that I was converted from "cheese is ok" to "I cannot live without cheese"... I need to book another trip... Vida x

    ReplyDelete