Wednesday, October 3, 2007

St-Marcellin

This is one of my favourite cheeses, perhaps because of the amazing disc of it that PDC and I ate for lunch on the fast train between Paris and Lyon.

We had been to one of the local markets that morning and purchased the cheese in the cute little glazed terracotta pot in the image above (we had to pay an additional Euro for the privilege of the pot, but how could we not?).

Since we have been back to normal in Melbourne, I noticed a few key cheese focused stores selling these beautifully ripe St-Marcellins in little plastic moulds, but they are so much more exciting when you have your very own St-Marcellin ceramic pot! A bit wanky, I know but when you don't need a knife to eat it, just crusty bread as it is softer than yoghurt, the little ceramic pot comes into its own.

What is it?
St-Marcellin - White mould, cows milk cheese from the French region, Dauphine, east of Lyon. The cheese is often eaten, quite ripe and creamy, the small surface areas allows for quick ripening and development of the creamy internal texture. In France we ate the local usual, unpasteurised version, but unfortunately in Australia is just a pasteurised version that the government allows us to buy. Not having tasted the pasteurised and unpasteurised side by-side I think my memory may be a little swayed due to holiday fun, but my experience in France seemed richer and more luscious.
Jack

3 comments:

  1. You are right Jack, things were lucious and rich, I was not a fan of cheese until I visited France and now I am an addict!!!!! Vida x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ARE right...I found your blog (which looks cool, by the way) by googling St. Marcellin because I just bought some in the U.S. that wasn't nearly as good as what I remember from Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi leowolf
    It's such a small world, didn't realise the ripper of a google listing I had for St. Marcellin, but pleased you found me.
    Hoping to get back there next year to taste again, glad your backing my food memory up, Paris as a gorgeous city, I sure can't hinder the flavour memory though. ;)
    Jack

    ReplyDelete