Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Poached rhubarb and strawberries

The rhubarb lady, Di I believe her name is, that frequents the local farmers markets is very passionate about her rhubarb, perhaps to the point of being a bit bossy about the way it is prepared... She has a little printed slip of paper that she gives out about how to prepare it which I think is great, but she can also be over heard constantly saying, "don't add anything to my rhubarb, no apples, just the rhubarb..." on and on. Of course, I and I'm sure many others comply, and have been rewarded with what has to be a some of the best stewed rhubarb on the planet (trust me it really is that good!).
When I was queuing to get my hands on some at the St Kilda markets last weekend, Di was advising that due to the lack of rain the rhubarb may need some orange juice to stop it sticking. I felt like I had been given premission to fiddle with 'the rhubarb'.

Poached rhubarb and strawberries
A bag of Di's fabulous rhubarb (or about 500g of the ordinary stuff)
A punnet of strawberries
A couple of tablespoons of brown sugar

Cut the rhubarb into bits as long as your thumb
Place in a large saucepan with the brown sugar and gently heat on the lowest stove top setting.
Once a little liquid has dropped, place the strawberries on top of the rhubarb in the pot, cut the larger ones in half, don't stir
Cover and gently cook until just before the rhubarb pulps down

I love this rhubarb for breakfast with bircher muesli or perhaps with some custard for dessert.
Jack

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, rhubarb! On the weekend I made a free-form cheesecake with poached rhubarb and crushed amaretti biscuits, was a big hit with my guests and I'm kicking myself that I didn't take photos for blogging purposes! I love the colour contrast in your photo between the rhubarb and the bowl... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm araretti and rhubarb interesting combo.
    I'm such a plate junkie, I just can't help myself, I have a lot plates, bowls, platters etc, PDC cringes when I tell him I've brought something else because storage is a real issue... but you never know when you could use that perfect green bowl, as in this case!
    Jack

    ReplyDelete