Friday, April 18, 2008

Seamstress - disappointing

I thought I'd be raving about this place, but unfortunately I can't.

The chef forgot to season our food.

The problem for me in sharing this with you, is that I know, my experience must have been a hiccup. With a number of supportive reviews in the traditional media, there is no way that this is indicative of a meal that you could perhaps experience there tonight.

So please don't take this post as my suggestion not to go and give it a go yourself, yet I feel I have a responsibility to share my truthful food experiences with you, even when unfortunately it was not good, in fact - embarrassingly bad.

Of the six items from the menu and specials that we ordered; one was seasoned well, delicious and well cooked, two were underseasoned and three dishes had no flavour at all, due to there being no salt in the dish - a massive faux pas especially when you are eating tofu.

For the sake of clarity, I dined there two weekends ago. We selected the above 'tofu box' on the waiters recommendation, some of the house dumplings of prawn and crab, some roast pork belly, a special dish of venison carpaccio and a braised beef cheek dish with a green beans side.

The dining room was smart, lots of cute high attention to detail pieces. Someone had really thought about the space and its look. We loved the silk draped roof - perhaps less so in the severely overcrowed bar - and smiled at the beautiful plates and equipment as they were presented to us. It all seemed right and what we had expected.

The food unfortunately was extremely disappointing. The dumplings, carpaccio and tofu were the first round of shared dishes that arrived. Upon tasting these initially we were puzzled and asked our waiter for some 'salt or soy sauce' (as I was uncertain which way the kitchen would be inclined). We were delivered some thick dark soy sauce that was fine to season the flavourless tofu and mushrooms but impossible for the carpaccio and dumplings. We powered on and made the most of a difficult scenario.
The next dishes, the belly and then braised cheek and greens were not much better, the cooking technique was indisputably good, the belly was crispy skinned and fat rendered the cheek was edible with chopsticks, yet both dishes were missing that chef touch, were tasting as you go is an absolute necessity. The beans were the final straw for me, listed as 'salt and pepper' we giggled as we spoke quietly of the peppered beans, as again I asked the waiter for some salt.

In an extreme contrast to our meal, Jason Chan one of the owners and one of Australia's best baristas noticed us in the dining room from our visits to Batch, his cafe in Balaclava. He made and served PDC what he could only describe as the perfect espresso; short, clean and heady.

I have been torn about writing this piece, I'm not a restaurant whinger. I understand that 'stuff' can happen, yet the truth is that the kitchen severely dropped the ball the night I dined.

Will I go back? Sure, but perhaps I'll let a little time pass first.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Jack...

    A very interesting review, mostly because I have to concur strongly.

    I dined at Seamstress last week for lunch (Thu 17 April), and was also quite puzzled by the severe lack of seasoning.

    We had the beef cheek with greens (not seasoned), the salmon in black bean broth with (raw/just edible) bamboo shoots (not seasoned), wok n' roll (good), oysters with xo (on the specials menu, and excellent), crispy calamari (which was not crispy) and spring rolls (yeah..okay).

    I was going to blog my thoughts soon, but life has got in the way of late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been twice, once in the bar which was okay and once in the restaurant. I thought the dumplings were stodgy but didn't have seasoning problems but that was back in January/Feb. Time overtook me and I didn't get to blog it. And I love the venue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grocer, Thanks for your support, its tough telling it how it is sometimes
    Hey Mellie, we have been missing your posts! I'm both pleased and sad that you had the same experience, I'm sure you'll agree it was just like they 'forgot', I look forward to your piece.
    Ed, The venue is fantastic, a great way to offer multiple experiences over the different levels.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a similar disappointing experience:

    There were four of us. The place is smallish but cozy.

    Wine list was extensive but pricey. Glass about $10 upwards. Bottles were at least in the $40 mark. We had a bottle of cab sav that cost us $48.

    Food was a let down. We had:

    1) Chicken and water chestnut dumplings: the filling was done very well BUT the skin was too dry. They served in a yum cha bamboo container but it had obviously sat for too long so the dumpling skin dried out.

    2) Oxtail: This was very tender and not bad. It was slow cooked and well marinated (can’t remember the exact details of what was in it).

    3) Rare duck with fried chicken skin: Had great expectations for this....I think that rare duck needs to be served sans skin. Rare duck fat and skin isn’t that tasty or easy to eat. The fried chicken skin was ok but it was a little cold when they served it.

    4) 8 treasure box: White fungus, assorted mushrooms stir fried. Bland bland bland.

    5) Fried snapper: Very tasty but it’s not hard to screw up fresh fish. And it was deep fried. They didn’t even give us the whole fish (For $25+, you’d expect more)

    6) Spiced pannacotta with lychees: This was great. Probably the best dish. The pannacotta was spiced with cinnamon, perhaps a little star anise. The lychees were straight out of the can of course.

    7) They served steamed white rice.

    All up, we paid $40 each with the wine. Not expensive but portions were really small and quality and taste was patchy. Waiter was a little condescending: Eli and I wanted to share the dessert and when he served the dish up he went, ‘And here’s ooooooonnnnnneeeeeee pannacotta’.

    We went to the Sweatshop bar downstairs. Drinks are expensive: $17 cocktails. I finally tried the Pipsqueak cider ($9) and the Holgate White Ale ($9). Both were brilliant and they rightly offered with ice (cider) and a glass (White ale).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jack,

    A fantastically well written, well considered and balanced review, I love the fact that you really WANTED to be entirely positive and that it pained you to be the opposite, but you did it in such a gorgeously considerate and diplomatic way. I can imagine that you probably re-edited this about ten times before hitting the dreaded "publish" button.

    If I was the owner my reaction would be "Fair enough, can't argue with that. Let's fix it".

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Anon. I did toy with writing this for a couple of weeks - perhaps too long in blog land - but decided that yes I had an opinion that I wanted to share.
    All too often people are happy to have a go and bag a place unfairly (or even fairly), yet nothing is achieved appart from some extra media attention.
    I really respect the industry and believe that we are all in it together, diners and chefs.
    Thanks for your thoughs.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete