Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A bit 'left', organic rolled oats


I've become a little more 'green' or 'left' orientated lately.

I intended to buy my usual Uncle Tobies traditional rolled oats at the supermarket (not Safeway, the other one) but I saw these on the top, difficult to reach shelf, and decided that I should buy them instead.
Makes a rich, risotto style porridge that with careful stirring teases out the sticky love from the oats and becomes nutty and stodgy. Great for a winter, warm-me and fill-me brekkie.
I had mine with gorgeous poached quince. Need a recipe?

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jackie, I bought this stuff too much I must say unless I soak it overnight I really think it's too long a cooking time... how long do you cook yours?? vida x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are busy!!! Sounds promising!! Love to catch up for a coffee or brekky when you get a chance... Vida x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vida, Yes, suitably distacted early this week.
    I haven't found the oats take too long. A bit longer than the 'traditional' Uncle Tobies. I don't like the instant its too mushy.
    My technique is stove top and I stir almost constantly just like risotto. Probably takes 15 minutes. The texture is a little firmer, 'al dente'-ish, but I like that.
    It tastes really healthy.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jacki, you right 15 minutes really isn't a long time in the scheme of things... just shows how impatient I really am!! Coffee any time soon? Vida x

    ReplyDelete