Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Escape your world for $3, going out for coffee

Going out for a coffee is not a big thing, jeez it costs about $3 and is a cheap way to feel worldly for 20 minutes. A bargain in my book.

But the catch can be if you don't trust who is making your coffee; if you haven't been there before and don't have a credible reference point. Do you know of the owners 'coffee pedigree'? Has the barista has been around the good coffee traps? Or does it just seem right?

It can end up being a disaster. Your expecting a small break from reality yet you get a burnt, over extracted glass of hot muddy milk instead of a latte. The dilemma then gets worse - you really can't just leave it in the glass - you need to either, hold your nose and scull it, find a way to very discretely make it 'disappear' or worse, feel bad as you make a thin excuse, leave your gold coins and run from the cafe as fast as you can, never to return.

I hate being in that situation, so as a result PDC and I are pretty fussy about where we go for coffee. There is probably a dozen places in Melbourne were I would happily have a coffee, luckily this list is growing, but it's a bit scary taking that first trusting step into a new cafe.

Recently, we went to Dino's Deli in Chapel St for the first time. It's been open for about 6 months and seems to be reasonably busy, (a good sign) yet we were still a little scared until I saw a familiar face, that has made me fantastic staff coffees many, many times.
Hallelujah, a safe house!

I'm pleased to also report that the breakfast at Dino's is just as good as the coffee. A new favourite is the shaksuka; a piperade (tomato, capsicum, onion and garlic, lightly scrambled with egg) set into the bottom of a rustic tapas dish topped with an egg. Dino's version is served on a wooden board with two little side pots; one of olive oil dressed fresh roma tomato wedges, and the other a tangy spinach, yoghurt and tahini sauce, some pide strips are the spoon for all of these flavours. Quite interactive, very healthy and utterly delicious.
I'd also recommend stalking out the house baked muffins, the first time they had run out when we asked but then managed to score one hot from the oven. Trust me have another or even a third coffee as an excuse to wait for these hot treats, you will not be sorry.

4 comments:

  1. Good to hear about a good coffee joint. Can I get some other reccommended coffee joints? Maybe in the CBD? I used to be not that fussy but my body has recently rebelled - if the coffee has been made badly, if the barista doesnt clean out the machine regularly enough and if the coffee isnt grinded fresh, I immedietely actually feel sick. I have left many a coffee on the table and walked away (after paying of course). i am not sure why this has started happening to me, but I can say that for my entire time in Italy and France recently, the coffee NEVER did that to me there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jack. Can't agree more about the coffee fear... I don't know of any reliable place in the CBD, but there must be some somewhere! It's getting to the point where Sydney has better coffee than Melbourne and that's just not on!!

    Not sure I share Ran's experience of France and Italy -- suspect it varies very much what sort of coffee one drinks, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jack!
    Gald to hear that you had amore positive experience than I did...see my first ever post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ran, How strange!
    I am planning a post on my favourite coffee places - which includes a few CBD locations, Duncan - so keep an eye out.

    Don't get that crazy about it Duncan, there is no way that Sydneys coffee is better... I'll sort you out with a list soon! ;)

    Littlejoeyk, I had read your piece - quite amusing actually - and funny enough a friend had a bad coffee experience there as well but I have been in maybe about ten times now and each time its been great. Even one Saturday morning when it was scaringly busy, the staff where scarce but caring.
    Mid week has been great, if you dare, give it one more go as the muffins are to die for!
    Jack

    ReplyDelete