Monday, June 2, 2008

Thank you Clotilde

I receive the Chocolate and Zucchini newsletter and am an admirer of Clotilde's blog, so was interested in this video interview from her recent book tour through the US.



Apart from being inspired by seeing her speak and not just reading her, I loved the smart advise she offers about dining at french restaurants.

If I may, I'd like to suggest this also applies to Australian restaurants were, as Clotilde advises, you are entering what should be treated as an extension of the owners home, don't rearrange stuff or change things around, she likens it to going to the theatre.
I find that all too often restaurant experiences are altered for the worse by people that demand changes to menus, move furniture (then complain when waiters bump their chairs) and generally don't go with the flow like an invited guest. I guess the rule of thumb for me is if the experience is not right then leave with the realisation that its not for you, don't go trying to change it to suit, I doubt you will ever be 100% happy with the result.

5 comments:

  1. I used to think otherwise jack, the market decides & all that. These days I cringe if some high maintainence wannabe invades a place wher they are doing their own thing & imposes their belligerent & self important needs onto the staff.
    Yes, act like your in someones home for crissakes & show some form goddammit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elliot

    I have just stumbled across your blog and really enjoyed reading it. You have a great writing style incorporate some excellent photos.

    I would like to invite you write on mytaste.com.au. This would be a great way to gain exposure for Eating with Jack as you are welcome to link back to it from myTaste.

    My personal name on mytaste is Brent C. - if you have a look around you will see me there. Drop by and say hi. If you do end up registering on mytaste i will add myself as a fan of you and therefore be notified whenever you do a review.

    If you like I can arrange to have all of your reviews imported into the site for you without you doing all of the copying and pasting – just give me the word. Thanks for the great dining tips.

    Cheers

    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you hate it when the cut and paste lets you down, Brent.
    My name is Jack not Elliot but I'm sure you don't care, as I bet this another company trying to steal bloggers ideas like Grocer and Sticky have been talking about...
    oh...and no thanks
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. AH-palling Brent!

    Hi Jack, I did like this post - I just had nothing to add to the discussion. I do think that many people that get "bad service" bring it upon themselves as they are not open to the experience...

    anyhow...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete