Thursday, June 12, 2008

Pearl Café

What do you expect when a quality restaurateur opens a café? Smart food, good prices, quick service, value?

I expect all of these.

Pearl Café (or is it Café Pearl?) has opened just up the road from the Pearl Restaurant, that we know and love.
I think it's a big daunting step for a restaurateur to step back and open a café, perhaps that's why it took a year longer than the initial reports speculated.

Attached to the stylishly attainable RG Madden store, Pearl Café is a small space with a large communal high table on warehouse castors (that move a little, unfortunately) some standard tables and a line of chilled displays. The menu is on an impressive cloud printed board that takes up most of one wall space.

We arrived for brunch at 11.30 to learn that breakfast is only served until 11am. Bummer, I am I the only one, that loves eggs on the weekend, even if it is lunch time?


Moving on from this, we ordered the Vietnamese baguettes; pâté, Asian salad and herbs in a crunchy roll. These were actually quite delicious, with the incredibly crunchy bread, being just like the ones I will eat agian, in a months time in Vietnam and the dressing as tangy and hot. My only gripe would be to add an extra smear of pâté and a little more meat for my $10, please.
A ugly, yet decadently good chocolate crackle, topped it off with a cafe latte.

My only hint to Pearl Café would be to sort out their staffing. Some were very obviously 'helping out' from the restaurant (read, stiff formal 'sir/madam' style service) others were cafe juniors that reeked of the skills shortage that is hurting the industry at every level. A balance needs to be found and no I don't want to see the wine list - for the third time - thanks.

No doubt Pearl Café will be popular for the growing Richmond market. I'd love to try their eggs, as one of my favourite fancy breakfast places was the bar at Pearl (restaurant), I'll just have to get myself organised earlier in the morning next time.

4 comments:

  1. Oh no, Jack. Banh Mi - Vietnamese Roll - $10? Puh-lease! LOL! Seems crazy when only a few minutes away in Victoria Street you can get excellent ones for forty six thousand Dong ($3) which already seems extortionate when you can get them in Vietnam for a couple of thousand dong after an el cheapo Jetstar flight. We love to do homemade ones - yummo!

    Wow, Pearl Cafe was a shell at the end of April. I did a shoot there and noticed that the kitchen was negligible - in fact at the time I wondered whether most of the food would be prepped elsewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie, I have to concur with Sticky, I mean even in Carlisle Street they are less than $5!! But having said that I am dying to go to Pearl Cafe so if you do venture back and want some company, just call me! Vida x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kitchen looked smallish Sticky but they really only had seats for 45 at the most. And a lot of the space was taken up by chilled displays with premade rolls etc (Which i was VERY surprized at)
    But you can't get a good coffee at the same time on Victoria St - or can you - is anyone doing those Vietnamese drip coffees with the condensed milk?? I haven't seen any??
    Vida, OMG! who on Carlisle is doing Vietnamese baguettes??
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackie, the Vietnamese bakery between the fish shop and NAB on Las Chicas side... sort of opposite safeway... I will take you there and even shout you one!! Vida x x x

    ReplyDelete