Friday, June 27, 2008

Menu boo-boos

I've been thinking a lot about menus lately... my reasons will make themselves be known in good time, but to be quite frank, I am a little tried of it.

So it really must be funny for me to crack a food nerd smile as I was flipping through the hundreds of images that I have just never gotten around to blogging on (does everyone else have these vast files??).


This image was given to me by a friend that lives in Japan, it's from her local 'wine bar' that serves Italian food.



I love the idea of a Japanese restaurateur translating into English an Italian dish, the thing I most wonder about is whether the English is a direct translation from the Japanese characters (any insight from clever readers is appreciated).

Of course, the prostitute style pasta is puttanesca; a classic combo of tomato, garlic, chilli, capers anchovy and olives, yet I giggle to myself at the simple yet on-the-mark translation.



Funny enough I should admit, I was given this image after dinner at GA&S a couple of months back and used the idea of this basic translation in my description of the "angry crab pasta" - Arrabbiata, I had enjoyed. I found out only recently that even PDC did not know what I had meant by this... arh food nerd, at least I laugh at my own jokes. ;)

2 comments:

  1. I think you jokes are funny and cute!! Vida x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having spent a fair amount of time trying to translate recipes from Italian/Spanish/French for the Thermomix I can sympathise with our Japanese friends. However, if they are to sell Italian food they probably should get somebody to interpret. Funny how they use Neopolitan and Amatriciana as nouns. Also, the Tomota sauce pasta of a chicken - don't know how they do it?

    Check out www.engrish.com - Menus on the left hand column for more unusual offerings.

    ReplyDelete