Wednesday, June 25, 2008

"The pork belly (for your gut), Sir?" - You are what you eat

Having always been on the leaner end of the scale, in the last few years I have had to start moving my arse at the local gym to keep in my favourite jeans. I totally understand the problem, I like food too much, but not the kind of food that generally makes people fat; good food just enjoyed a little too much, really it's a more of a food loving lifestyle habit than a fueling stop for me.

I was truly embarrassed to read recently of Australia's new title of worlds fattest nation, truly I was, and though I don't fall into the category of over 25BMI, I thought long and hard before I served PDC and myself some beautiful cheese the other night.

The thing is, that it's a very complicated issue mostly based around an un-food-educated public and the fact that we don't move enough, but it's also got a lot to do with portion sizes.

What has happened to the idea of an elegant sufficiency as my Nan would say? Why do we strive to finish the huge American sized popcorn (drenched in awful, salty, butter tasting oil) at the cinema while we sip from the impossibly too big to hold coke.

Growing up in the country, I understand the one-up-man-ship of finishing the biggest steak or drinking that extra beer, but we all really need to understand that this is the reason we have won this scary world wide anti-accolade.

I have been working back in restaurants recently and a fresh set of eyes has given me a new perspective of what the dining public eats. It's far too easy, while running food to look at the table ahead and pick who has ordered what dishes. The largest steak with bearnaise sauce goes to the man with the large round tummy with the empty beer glass in front of him. The confit duck leg with fondant potatoes goes to the lady that should be wearing one size larger, but can't admit it enough to feel comfortable in her clothes. The slow cooked pork belly goes to the person, with the porky belly... it's a sad sorry state.

Rarely am I surprised as I deliver food to tables, I understand that most of these people are perhaps celebrating, but food needs to be part of your long term life style choice and if you look like the food that I just delivered you then, this does not seem like a one off.

I like to play a game at the supermarket and stand in the long queue and peer into peoples baskets as they go past, it's always the love handles with the guilt ridden apple pie or the chubby teen with the large bottle of softdrink and chips.

An even more fun game, if you are ever tempted by the convenience of a fast food shop, is to stop and watch the customers for a moment, I bet there is very few bodies you would like to emulate. If you don't like the look of the butts in the queue, don't join it or you'll get a matching one, is the story that goes through my head.

As I step of my high horse now, I can also enlighten you that two entrees is the choice of the trim and terrific crowd and a glass (or even two) of a quality wine, is also duly acceptable instead of the saddening routine of multiples of spirits with 'diet' softdrink.

Do you look like your food? I'm off to buy some organic carrots!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jack(ie)

    I thought the UK would have been closer to winning that title! I do admit I love my food, and can feel the pounds creeping up every time I indulge a little too much. After last week's trip to Italy, I feel satisfied, but guilty!

    BTW, when's your trip to HK again?

    Helen Yuet Ling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, they thought I'd ordered the Pork Belly the other night and Jak the Gnocchi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like my food too Jackie, too much. Lately I've been packing on the pounds, and it's because I've been undisciplined and have had that serving of pork belly way too often.

    I've done the stand back and watch people in the fast food queue and see what they order. I can't help but be a bit judgemental when I see a large person order two Big Macs. I wonder if they will eat it themselves or if it's for two people.

    I have to get off my dead horse (which died under the weight of my expanding body) and start doing exercise again before I turn into a pork belly size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Ed... sorry Very funny though, the heavy meat dish is typically for the man...
    Hi Helen
    I'm off to HK in 3 weeks, really looking forward to it now.
    Thanh, its all about balance, some belly, some carrots!
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to have to be bolshie and dissent. It's easy to see the fat shopper with the less healthy food in their basket or on their McDonald's tray. But we're conditioned to notice this seeming excess. Look again and it shouldn't be hard to see slim or average customers loading up with crap as well. Many of these customers are less fit and less healthy than the overweight ones.

    The reality of much of the obesity news presented in the media is far from actual reality. A hell of a lot of obesity data are decidedly dodgy, often used by the researchers as a lobbying tool for funding. It's convenient for them that most journalists just the press releases rather than examining the actual studies.

    Heaps of factors in this issue. Promoting a sensible approach to delicious eating is much more constructive than turning food into a social weapon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhhhh, am i going to have to stop eating mushrooms?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Duncan - I know some people overeat and are obese, but others can just get away with it due to their metabolism.

    I indulge regularly, but I also eat quite healthily most of the time and believe I have a pretty good balanced diet. That doesnt mean I am stick thin though (and this is getting worse since i got married!). Unfortunately, my husband could eat an entire cow every day and still be thin which makes me think I am the same!

    Jack you are definetly right about the balance. And my body tells me when i am eating badly and starts to crave the carrots. Now if I could just stop with the cheese... and that cocktail night at cafe vue i am going to toninght...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Duncan I love a good debate.

    I agree on both counts, but my observations are more about greedy portions and bad selections for the people that obviously should be more careful. No doubt a lot of more normal looking people have bad eating habits as well, but I don't think they are as common.

    As with all studies, the media takes these bites of info to 'flog', and obviously I have jumped on this one, but I'd rather it this way to at least get people thinking about the implications of what they put into their mouth.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete