Thursday, October 9, 2008

Lucky Melbourne

Who says you need to travel to be inspired by the worlds best cuisine...

In the next six months, right here in little old Melbourne, I am seeing four chefs from the world's ten best restaurants, as voted by World's 50 Best Restaurants.

Next week it is Ferran Adrià from the #1 restaurant, El Bulli.
He is here to flog his new book, A Day at elBulli, of which I am also buying as part of my ticket price.

Then in March, at the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival Masterclasses, I am seeing Heston Blumenthal from The Fat Duck, rated #2, Thomas Keller from The French Laundry and Per Se, rated #5 and #6 respectively, and also René Redzepi from Noma, #10.

Now that's a pretty impressive list of powerful chefs to be visiting Melbourne. No doubt our local chefs will be on their toes should one of these guys turn up for a quick bite between engagements...

I wonder where Ferran will eat while in Melbourne? If you hear before I do, I'd love to know!

3 comments:

  1. He is only in Melbourne (I think) Saturday and Sunday nights and wants to eat Asian. His publicist is talking about the Flower Drum and VDM. But I think it would be more interesting for him to see the unique Asian influence on Australian food at perhaps Ezard or Pearl (I think he's probably well versed in the Japanese influences seen at Verge and Taxi). And he should look in at Attica. We'll see. I'll find out for you when I see him on the 20th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ed.
    Arhh! A publicist is not the best person to be asking for restaurant recommendations...
    I hope he already has a food shortlist for Australia supplied by his peers (isn't that how it works?).
    Please at least let it be Tetsuyas when he is in Sydney, and in Melbourne, Attica would be amazing (but I can't see it happening, um but maybe now its 'Restaurant of the Year"?) but perhaps Ezard or Pearl would be good. Definitely not Flower Drum, I'm sure if he wanted to eat Chinese he would in China.
    And as for VdM, or Interlude why would he want to visit a restaurant that is trying to do similiar food to his own? He loves creativity, from the interviews I've read.

    I wonder if there is question time on the Sunday? Doubt it.

    I wonder if Ferran reads blogs? You never know... (I don't think he understands English anyway)
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry I tried to steer them in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete