Friday, October 24, 2008

The worlds most decadent, fudgy chocolate mousse

The roles seem a little confused in the local blogging scene; Duncan is cooking and Jack is baking... well kind of.

This recipe is from the inspiring Culinaria series; European Specialties book.
I first made it a few years ago and have even shared the recipe with a close group of friends, but it comes with a condition, I have to know that they are fairly good cooks first. Why you ask? Well this mousse is really tricky, not just a little bit, but really tricky. I have stuffed it up many times and ended up with decadent chocolate truffles, instead of the worlds most decedent, fudgy mousse.

The trick is you need to follow the steps to a tee, in that order, no mucking about, and really trust me in that no chatting is also a requirement. PDC knows there must be absolute silence at the critical moment.

Now that you are adequately intimidated, I need to tell you why you should make this chocolate mousse, the title I have given it doesn't even tell you half of how amazing this mousse is.
You really must try it for yourself.



The Worlds Most Decadent, Fudgy Chocolate Mousse
I usually make half this recipe, as it is plenty of chocolate love to have in a two person house.
I use large eggs, and for a half portion 2 yolks and 3 whites works fine.
Make sure you allow at least an hour in the fridge for it to firm up before eating.

300g bitter chocolate - I get great results with Lindt 70%
4 egg yolks
130g sugar
50ml cream - I use the thick pure cream with a high fat content
250g egg white

Melt the chocolate gently in a bowl over simmering water or a double boiler
At the same time beat egg yolks until frothy, with 2 tbsp of the sugar
Stir in the cream
Sh!!...Now the critical stage...
Remove the melted chocolate from the heat and mix together with the egg yolk and sugar mix
Mix quickly to combine, it should be fairly soft, if not your chocolate was too cool and now you have a nice chocolate truffle mix... :)
If its all going to plan for you, then well done!
Beat the egg whites with the remaining sugar until stiff
Gently fold through the chocolate mix in batches, keeping as much air in the mix as possible
Pour into individual serving bowls or one larger bowl and chill

I love this mousse served with cassis macerated strawberries.
Buy the smallest ripest strawberries available, toss with a couple of teaspoons of pure icing sugar and a generous glug of cassis. Leave to seep for half an hour.

I hope you do try this mousse, it is an absolute hit whenever I serve it to friends. Being rich it's great as a small sweet taster after an extended meal.

8 comments:

  1. Teeheehee. Hi Jack and what a superb mousse! And I didn't even know it was lurking on my shelves too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh Duncan, I don't want you to make it... you'll tell everyone how easy it is and I'll look like an even worse pastry chef (...in the making...)
    Just make sure when you are surfing the book, you avoid the baguette page with the hairy half naked man making bread. Gives me shivers just thinking of it.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, a spork!!

    Mousse looks great. Will have to check out that cookbook for the hairy half naked bread baker, hee hee.

    xox Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only does this recipe have me salivating as I love chocolate mousse, it also sounds like a good challenge. I'm going to give this a try. I'm always looking for the next best chocolate mousse recipe, thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah

    Its actually a splayd... a bit of retro Aussie dinner party ware from the 70's.
    This is the smaller 'cake' size. I just love them as they are very user friendly, I use mine all the time.
    Let us know how you go with the mousse Thanh.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  6. who doesnt love a good splade!!! i know i do!! but for the less spart of us , how may eggs = 250g of egg whites?? please help i would love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Becky-Lee
    I usually make half of this recipe and find that 2 egg yolks and 3 whites from large eggs works, so for the full recipe, 4 yolks and 6 whites no doubt will be fine.
    Good luck, let me know if how you find it
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok so now that is the perfect recipe for chocolate mousse. I will definately be making this. I am just drooling looking at the pic. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete