Friday, January 30, 2009

Macarons at Noisette

If you have the patience of a saint these macarons from Noisette, could be the best available retail in Melbourne.

You see, the problem is that a macaron needs time after being filled (I can't remember the time 'rule') but enough time for the filling to meet with the shell and they become one. The outer shell is the gentle crunch and then the base of the little disk is moistened by the filling, soft and a little texturally chewy, almost.

I've had some devastating good macarons at Laduree in Paris and also in Melbourne at the first food bloggers banquet, courtesy of Duncan. And these were fairly close, if only I could wait until the day after I brought them, as they were too 'fresh'.

A great little piece of Paris in Port Melbourne; well priced breads, great small petit four style sweets and fantastic macarons - for patient people only.

5 comments:

  1. Noisette's my local. I'm there at least three times a week.

    David - the owner/Patissier - is a 5th generation Breton baker who came out here originally to work for Laurent. He now supplies restaurants such as Guillaume Brahimi and scores of other bakeries, with production now coming from a larger site in Mulgrave.

    I love their stuff so much I've posted about the bakery and Macaron's on my blog a couple of times and got friends and colleagues hooked. I'm just a hard core sugar pimp - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my first Macaron experience at Laduree :) I bought a selection from the Galleries Lafayette when I was in Paris last year, mainly because I'd heard so many bloggers raving about them, and figured I should see what the big deal was.

    They were great, sadly, because Perth is a long way from the fine patissiers of Paris.

    Looks like a trip to Melbourne might be the next best option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED macaroons..! had trouble finding a good one in Melbourne, so far, I only find them in Laurent or for an oversized version at cafe Vue.

    I went to Noisette's website,it said it's opening soon. Can you please tell me the exact address and their opening hours. I've been craving for some macaroons after my macaroon filled holiday in Singapore a week ago.

    Love your blog btw, I'm new at blogging, and keen on getting to know fellow melbournian bloggers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi All

    I love how a good pastry gets us so excited!
    Thanks for saying Hi Ice tea. Noisette is open, has been for well over a year... don't you just hate bad misleading websites. The address is 84 Bay St Port Melbourne. Not far from the beach end. I also had a pretty good quiche lorraine there, so rich and creamy... just don't think about the the amount of butter etc that makes it taste so good!!
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I should mention Iced tea that you should check out 'Syrup and Tang', as Duncan is organising a food bloggers get together and officially makes the best macarons in melb!

    ReplyDelete