Monday, December 3, 2007

Dish of the month ...and a whinge

I've held out making this post until what has ended up being late. Not because of lack of dining experiences but because of wanting to hold out for what should have been my best opportunity for a fabulous dish of the month, dinner at Jacques Reymond.
I dined there very late last month and was disappointed to find that I could not list any one of the 9 dishes I saw that night as one worthy of the title... perhaps more needs to be said in other post, but it wasn't bad just not, I guess, me. Gosh sounds like a bad breakup excuse!!

So I therefore I get to nominate a traditional yet inspiring, 'Dish of the month' from dinner at Comme kitchen a couple of weeks ago.
I've raved about this intimate dining room before, about their Frenchy-Spainsh food, that has me bubbling with dining excitement as I read the menu (very rich coming from someone who writes menu descriptors for a living...!, or perhaps chef Simon Arkless has gotten into my brain??)
Comme truly offers, and supplies some of the best food in Melbourne.
The dish actually was ordered by PDC, but I used some of my best negotiation skills, to secure as many tastes as reasonable possible. Essentially it was a pot of brandade served with some pretty little farga olives and some impossibly thin and crispy croutons. On the palate it was a combo of warm and fluffy textured salt cod mixed with a rich potato, garlic and olive oil combo. The finished product was a sophisticated dish, perhaps best for sharing (lucky that, and yes that was one of the excuses I used!) that looked somewhat unexciting but was a marvel of the lightness of touch and considered balance.

November dish of the month
Brandade of salt cod, Spanish farga olives, croutons - Comme, Melbourne

Jack

7 comments:

  1. I'm quite surprised about the food. I've been wondering whether or not to visit Jacques bearing in mind his rating in the guide but also that the place seems unfashionable (which shouldn't be a barrier). A mate recently visit for lunch and said the food was good but the place was boring, my conclusion on my last visit on my 40th. I shall take J a not down on my places to visit and Comme a couple up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right Ed, it does seem 'unfashionable', and that's why I was hesitant to spend my dining dollars there. I also wanted to give it a go, since it has had so much positive support. Yet it was as I was expecting, good, yet a bit dull and unappealing to a diner like me who does not want to feel like they should be dining wih there with their grandparents. And the fusion was a bit 'confusion' instead of inspired.
    Please check out Comme, you'll love it.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dissapointing to hear that about Jacques Reymond. I am another who has been meaning to try it for some time. I had a similar experience at Circa the Price last week. I found the food very good, but not exceptional and the feel of the place just wasn't right. It was comfortable and modern and all that, but the dinner croud were mostly 40 or 50 somethings (no offence to older people) and there was just a slight bland mis-match feeling. I also found the wine pourings mean. $100 for matched wines with the degustation menu (7 glasses which were only 1/3 pours - the wine was not that good).

    Will have to try out Comme some time. SOunds great!

    Happy eating,
    Jon (Melbourne Foodie)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will do Jack.
    Jon, I've eaten lunch at Circa twice in as many weeks. Yesterday I was quite disappointed by the value offered for $65 and by a couple of dishes. I got the feeling the place is in limbo waiting for it's refurb. it's a shame as i love - or loved - Circa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Circa is a stunning dining room, love those floor boards! Yet yes, its due for a freshen up, the word I've heard bandied about in respect to the planned refurb is 'accessability' which is pretty exciting because Matt is a talented chef and I'd love to be able to go more often but it can be ex-y. And lunch in that space is a bit too strange, definately a sexy dinner space.
    Ed, lunches on Sunday use to be great but haven't been in for a while. Funny enough Ben Shewry from Attica use to do the best midweek lunch menus there before he went to Attica a couple of years back...
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jack, Attica was friday night. Not only was the food delicious but stunning visually. They known me there now and as it was by B-day Ben sent out some extras and came over for a chat afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've dined at Attica multiples of times and love the food. Ben is extremely passionate about his food and it shows, haven't been for a few months, must try and get back soon.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete