Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Feeling european at The European

And eating oysters at Oyster...
I'm getting myself psyched up for a long awaited trip to France and Spain late next month. So last week PDC and I went and saw Paris, Je T'aime at Nova cinemas. Before the film we sipped freshly shucked Sydney rock oysters at Oyster, Little Bourke, while sitting on the high tables in the bar (our choice - it felt more european!) and enjoyed the oysters with lemon and a shallot and red wine vinegar. We also savoured a wet and deliciously well seasoned steak tartare with fresh baguette slices.
After the film and a wander back along Lygon Street, supper was in order at The European.
Perched on a small bistro table under a heater outside, we acted as door people watching the comings and goings at Supper Club upstairs. I love the look on the faces of people that are unfamiliar with the entry- an unmarked wooden door (perhaps Tempura Hajime was inspired??), looking around for reassurance as they slowly open the door to reveal a steep set of stairs, up to the lounge bar.
Outside, we marvelled at the wonderful clear night and ordered some Joselito Ibérian jamón.
I’ve had the famed Ibérico jamon a couple of times since it arrived in Melbourne restaurants. At MoVida it was shaved like prosciutto, it was enjoyable but didn’t feel ‘that’ special. At Rockpool I had it cubed with vongolé in a salty fragrant broth, heartfelt and warming and probably too much, interactive finger licking fun to have at a serious restaurant.
I was starting to question all the hype about these fat little Spanish piggies and their acorn munching yumminess, until PDC convinced me that it was a bargain and that it was all research for the trip…, I guess that’s what the theme of the whole night was after all. So I allowed my arm to be twisted and we ordered it. Well I have to say the ham has now won me over.
The jamon came sliced traditionally, with the grain of the meat, creating streaks of soft fat running through the dark reddy brown flesh. It was clear to see it had been thankfully hand cut as not all the pieces were perfect machine cut slices. I was loving the authentic feel to this very simple dish of chunky sliced meat and bread. The caramel coloured fat of Iberico ham has a low melting point which means that it coats your mouth quickly and richly. If you play with your food as I have been know to, you can drag a fork across it and easily form marks as if it was butter.
And the taste I hear you drool? A complex smoky, game flavour with a distinct nuttiness, we had to eat it slowly it was so interesting, we kept talking about it and nibbling.
This little pile of cured meat has really excited me about my trip, I can’t wait to go there, Iberico and taste the ham at its source. Definitely, more to report back after the trip!
Jack

8 comments:

  1. there appears to be different types of jamon, the piggies can be be from the north or south etc. But we haven't come across great jamon here as yet. Europe on the other hand...drool, I'm envious just hearing about your upcoming trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cin
    I've done quite a bit of research about thiese piggies and yes jamon is just the Spanish word for ham but the Joselito Ibérian jamón is from the northern pigs, and is considered the best in Spain it is used at the countries best restaurants, El Bulli and Mugaritz. Looking forward to seeing if the market ambience etc adds to the flavour when I eat this ham in it home region!
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, just a bit of info on the Jamon, I get a lovely one ($200 a kilo) at Iberica which is a place I went as a child in Fitzroy, Johnson Street, just near Nicholson Street, and we called it "the Portegese" and I believe the owner was Portegese. The pigs are from the Iberia area in Spain and must be black, they can be slaughtered after two and a half years as opposed to the white which can be slaughted after six months so it's flavour is far more mature and developed, the pigs feed on accorns and their meat is so dark and their fat so yellow at soft that it resembles butter and can be melted with finger touch and smeared like butter. The taste is very strong and I took six slices to my dad who has been known to cure and smoke his own hams with excellence and he said it was like nothing he had ever tasted in his life. The Portegese also has the softest fattest vanilla beans around and at only $3.80 each, far cheaper then the market etc. The Portegese has all you will ever need for paella and all sorts of wonders from Spain and South America, go and check it out and if you need company or directions give me a hoy. Vida (which just as luck would have it means Life in Spanish) and I am sure they named MoVida after me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your a wealth of info Vida.
    I also love Casa Iberica. I use to work locally and got far to accustomed to picking up a couple of devine custard tarts along with some white anchovies, Manchego and stuffed olives... I now don't get there that much but have unfortunately discovered that Wall 280 just off Carlisle st. has the same ones, disasterous for the waist line!
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jack, you are too kind, I am a bit embarrassed now I know you are in the trade, I thought I was just chatting to a like minded food lover when I gave up my measly bit of knowledge, you are too kind. Yes I have partaken Wall's tarts too, but wanted to know where Batch is? Roger and I argue over his loving the Wall more and I feel Las Chicas is better. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not at all Vida, you can never know too much!
    Batch is Carlisle St as well, on the opposite side than Las Chicas, further up a bit, just after the Fresh Center. A kiwi cafe, Jason the owner won Barista of the year a couple of years ago and makes great coffee.
    PDC and I love the three places, I tend to think the coffee at Wall 280 is better consistantly than Las Chicas, but obviously the food options at the Wall are more limited than LC.
    But things my change, the owners of LC have just sold and are finishing working in the business this week. I hope it stays the same, time will tell.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I understand the staff changes etc. thought things seemed to be moving/changing, bummer, I hope it stays good otherwise Darl, we will have to do a LOT of research together... all those coffees, all those breakfasts, it will be tough but I think we are up for the challenge... x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the more they appear more European is because they employ Italian bar stools leather.

    ReplyDelete