Saturday, March 8, 2008

Eclectic produce this week

Fresh nuts are one of the most beautiful things, just like the almonds a few months ago, the flavours are delicate and colours bright. I am usually also surprised at how inexpensive they are, perhaps people don't understand how much of a special delicacy they are and how little time they are around for. These are brand named kiwi berries, essentially just that, mini kiwis with no fury skin, just pop them straight in your month, oh and incredibly cute!
The erratic weather has made my watercress go crazy, it's now trying to grow out of the base of the bay tree pot and into the wild of my untamed garden. Not enough yet for a salad, but a very pretty garnish or a grazing nibble while watering the herbs.
Enjoy the weather while it lasts!

5 comments:

  1. i have seen all these things at the market this week, but unsure about how to approach the raw pistachios. did you just eat them, or otherwise?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bunches Mc
    The raw pistachios are so much more 'approachable' than the almonds. Just peel back the pretty pink skin, split open the shell as usual and nibble away. The texture is softer and the flavour more delicate, and perhaps a little extra more-ish... you've been warned! ;)
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jack,

    I have never seen these fresh before, and then today, after reading your post, I saw some today.

    A lady (60+ of med origin) was pouring over them, so I asked her about what to do and how to use them. She showed me how to pick the riper ones (pinker the better) and apparently they are great in cooking - in rice and on desserts.

    Thank you.
    Now if you could tell me what to do with raw olives...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Grocer
    Its funny how you probably have walked past the pistachios many times, yet today, fresh in your mind... voila!
    I have been offered some olives that grow like crazy on a neighbours tree, so might give a go to preserving my own this year. The legend of Australian food, Stephanie has a few ideas in Cooks Companion, I'll probably give these a go.
    If it goes to plan and they are edible, I'll let you know!
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly don't think I have seen them before.

    As you know I haven't always been "grocer" but I am quite observant and the colour of pistachio has fascinated me for years.

    I was also somewhere I probably didn't go to much before this past year as well.

    Anyhow, one more thing...
    having sat down and eaten a handful since 21:26... I have noticed an amazing aroma that comes off when you peel the outer skin. It's divine!

    ReplyDelete