Sunday, March 23, 2008

One a penny, two a penny, hot cross buns

Yesterday morning we popped into Baker Chirico on Fitzroy St, St Kilda, in the hope of getting some of our favourite fresh bread. As we pulled up and I saw the crowd, it occurred to me that I was about to throw myself into the crowds of hot cross bun hunters.
Baker D. Chirico is considered one of Melbourne's best places to get quality hot cross buns, I know that Babka on Brunswick St, Fitzroy also do some beautiful ones with rind and fruit.
A few loose buns were still for sale, no doubt pre-orders were substantial at Baker, we secured the last four buns to take away.

Toasted for breakfast this morning with a big cup of strong Irish breakfast tea, we enjoyed the dense spiced buns with fresh soft sultanas, lemon rind and signature brown crosses.

Perhaps these for now and then some Easter eggs later. Umm, happy Easter!

1 comment:

  1. I love the Chirico ones but my Jackie says they are too rich. She wants a paler less spicy one.

    ReplyDelete