Thursday, November 27, 2008

The craft of service

One relationship is broken and another fails to launch, its been a tough week for service in my dining shoes.

About six months ago I wrote about a newish place that I had developed a relationship with - a trust.
I go there, I eat and drink. I enjoy the staff and their service. The location is convenient for me, I therefore can and do go regularly. But the relationship has been strained recently, I have had a few patchy experiences, PDC has had worse. I went there again the other day, a little cautious now, it seemed great and then it all went sour. It was wrong, they just didn't care, the service was appalling, and not even rude just absolutely careless.

I'm sad and angry, I had recommended this place, I have spent time there, but I just can't justify going there again - perhaps ever. They have been given many chances, but the culture has changed (perhaps reflecting on other bloggers at the time, its been like that all along?).
It's broken, it's over.

Another local relationship this week didn't even get off the ground.
A highly reviewed pub dining room, recommended strongly by friends (to their embarrassment, when we all dined together), the service was uneducated, untrained and strained. The staff didn't know better, the management didn't respond to my calls for love (ie clearing my own table to the bar and asking for dessert and cheese menus).
The food was good, even great in parts but was let down by the service and some faux pas like kitchen oversights, such as uncooked soggy chips or the lack of bread being offered.
I wanted to form a relationship, to become a fan like my friends, but I can't.

I can not and will not tolerate bad, uncaring, inconsistent service. I can not support managers and owners that think people don't know better or don't care what another 'number' in their business thinks.
I'll patronise places that make me feel good about being there, places that value my relationship with them... it goes both ways and I have been given nothing back.
Its over, and it never began. What a sad week.

10 comments:

  1. Terrible to read of such disappointments, but nice to read them expressed so clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I empathetise totally with you there Jack. This has happened to me a few times over the past year, and it breaks my heart that it appears some restaurant managers and owners (of your favourite and much loved restaurants or cafes)seem to not see the dining out experience as a relationship and bond of trust and love, as well as a way to serve their brilliant food and wine.

    It kind of equates to a broken love affair, really, doesn't it, when it all comes crashing down around your ears?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have have never been moved to offer a hug over a food review, until now! *Hug*

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so disappointing, isn't it? It makes it all the more frustrating when it's a venue established by some very experienced restaurateurs, too. I haven't been back but my fiance (who is far more forgiving than I) had dinner there with his mum a couple of weeks ago and described a similar utter lack of love in the food and service.
    I'm booked in to Council House 2 for lunch next week - I'm hoping the experience is a more positive one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Littlejoeyk, I wouldn't say restaurateurs, more like bar owners. And this fact reflects the unpolished service.
    I don't want to scare you but I wouldn't expect much from Council House 2 either (no matter what the Hun review says today). Last week i had drinks there before dinner else where and again the service was off and again they didn't have the products listed that we ordered; simple stuff like beers and wine.
    Reeks of bad management and too speedy growth.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  6. speaking of bad service, ate at St Judes for the 1st time last night, fantastic food, but some of the worst service I had had in a long time...

    where is the love?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there Christie
    Oh St Judes! I've loved it there, what a pain. I hope it was just a bad night, but I have heard that there has been a management change since my last visit.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I'm a little late on this... but I'm pretty certain I know which place this, if my visit was any indication! Am I right?!
    Sorry to read about your experience Jack, it sucks when love turns sour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the love guys.
    Theres no secrets here, the first place I use to be a regular at is Dinos in Windsor, the second place was Hotel Max in Prahran.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete