Monday, November 10, 2008

Legumes for Spring

This year, after a bummer crop of selected goodies last year, my small garden is planted with quite a potential banquet of fruit and vegetables.
This image shows the beginnings of my sugar snap peas, planted straight into the dirt, I also have some baby heirloom tomatoes, cavolo nero and silverbeet in punnets still getting enough strength for replanting. I shot these from seeds purchased from Diggers, a great site for those keen to grow varieties that your local garden shop has never heard of.
In anticipation of a successful harvest of sugar snaps, I recently cooked with some beautiful in season fresh borlotti beans. You can have a look at them and my recipe here.
Bring on the warmer days and I'll have more beans than I can handle; if only I can keep the pesky possums away.
The water pistol seems to be working...!! ;)

2 comments:

  1. what are u doing about the possums? my husband has built a fence but it isnt quite finished (and we will electrify it) so i recently discovered that they had eaten some newly planted parsley, my beetroot seedlings and some radish!

    i think i have overplanted and overreached considering i dont know what i am doing. i also joined diggers and have many many seeds

    my silverbeet didnt work out as i didnt plant the seeds deeply enough. do u think i can start again or is it too late?

    i planted about 5 varieties of tomatos! i might be making sauce at the end of summer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a particularly bad run with possums a couple of years back and as a result I didn't plant anything for a while but they seem to have calmed down a little now with some small dogs that live behind us... noisy little buggers but they scare the possums away from my garden.
    We also have some of those spiky things (that they sometimes use for pigeons) running along bits of the fence that we know they like.

    My silverbeet and cavolo are about 15 cm tall at the moment, and just about to be transplanted. I have no idea what I'm doing either but seem to have had some luck this season.
    In regards to starting again, I'm not sure but hey its only a couple of dollars if they don't work out or a bounty of greens if they do, I'd give it a go.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete