Saturday, November 15, 2008

Ugly furniture seals fate?

Has China Tea House on Chapel St, South Yarra closed down already?

It's been open since May and scared me off because of its hideous furniture and fit out, and a menu that features Thai and pan Asian flavours with a Cantonese focus - ie yum cha daily. Well not today anyway...

I have been curious about this place after reading the glowing reviews here, here and here. I was terribly tempted to twist PDCs arm and head there for some dumpling action tomorrow but unfortunately it was closed lunch today and again dinner tonight and they are not answering the phone, not very positive signs for a trading restaurant.

Perhaps that furniture has scared off more people than just me? Have you dined there? Does an awful fit out disturb you as much as a good one inspires me?

3 comments:

  1. Still closed and a couple of chandeliers on the floor. Wasn't it only reviewed in GT last month?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it.
    Its review is in the current November GT thats only been on the shelves a couple of weeks.
    Must have been a very desperate scenario to close with this review so fresh. Not a good look for GT either though.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. The guy also owns Tokyo Teppanyaki on Chapel - I wonder if that is still going. It reminds me of Crabapple Cupcakes calling in the receivers the day it appeared in the Entrepreneur section of The Oz. From what I hear there'll be a few more of these.

    ReplyDelete