Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Double up, Dish of the Month

If your savvy about food in Melbourne, it's likely that you have heard of Tempura Hajime, and are either desperate to get a reservation or a very patient happy diner.

I'm one of the very happy diners but I didn't have to be so patient.

I've dined at Hajime on four occasions now, each time the menu has changed a little - and I do mean little - yet it's the constants that win me over. I dined there the first time back in March last year when it was about 6 weeks new. I loved it so much I went back again a few weeks later just to check I hadn't drank too much shōchū and blurred my perception -and it was better.

Each time Daisuke and Noriko have made me feel even more welcomed into their little dining space.

So without a moment of hesitation, Tempura Hajime is the holder of not one but two equally deserving Dishes of the month for January

Tempura eel in Teriyaki sauce and
Sea urchin roe stuffed tempura scallop

Sorry, just couldn't pick between the two.
I'm a huge eel fan usually smoked with any number of accompaniments, so I know a good piece when I see it. The eel at Hajime wasn't smoked, just delicately flavoured and in the lacy tempura batter that we love and then a dip in Dai's pot of teriyaki sauce. The sweetness balanced the goodness of the intense fish oils of the eel and the batter the necessary textural factor.

We already know how embarrassed I get taking photos in local restaurants, so I hope you can forgive my very poor image of the stuffed scallop, yet I think it helps you get an understanding of this morsel.

A large deep sea scallop, split and filled with sea urchin roe, the flavours are not light hearted, intense fishy and with a slight grainy texture two pieces is not enough.

One gorgeous memory I take away from my last visit to Hajime, was listening (it's hard not to when there is only twelve seats!) into a Hajime virgin couple. They were loving it, so much so that when the oyster was served the man just had to have another so asked if they could have a couple more as they were happy to pay whatever the extra would be. The sweetest response was returned, along the lines of "...I'm sorry we only have twelve for our twelve seats, I don't have extras".
This sums up Tempura Hajime in my mind, it's all about the quality, they are not there to make a quick buck and were absolutely horrified when they received 500 calls in just one day after The Age review.
I'm not usually patient enough to book ahead, but for Tempura Hajime, I can make some concessions.
Jack

6 comments:

  1. 4 times! I suspect I'm less patient but without the waiting lists I may return soon. As you take more pictures the embarrassment lessens although on friday at Attica somebody who'd never seen it before was mortified.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On tuesday night the chef said that people in japan usually go to a tempura bar once every 6 months as the menu only changes a little and with the seasons. I like the idea of going to places seasonally.
    An American couple didnt know what a sea urchin was so he pulled out his book of fish to show them the picture!
    For some reason I really liked the baby corn. Simple but so tasty!
    maybe it will be less than 6 months till the next visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack, I'm so jealous. A great simple description of the restaurant.

    I'm not too embarrased to take photos at restaurants anymore. I just quietly slip my camera out and snap a few photos. It becomes less strange the more you do it.

    Thanks for the tip about booking a table. I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That eel and scallop has actually been haunting me in my dreams. And I wonder why I sometimes wake up in a pool of my own drool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad so many people have been enjoying Tempura Hajime as well. Its so deserving.
    Its a shame about the lack of changes to the menu, I'd like to go more often yet it can be a bit repetitive. Still love them though!
    Jack

    ReplyDelete