Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Spanish tomato salad

Tomatoes evoke memories of summer games as a child, playing 'sprinkler' games, nibbling cherry tomatoes as 'energy pills' at each end of the sprinklers reach. Ohh..., the days before water restrictions and before the urban areas, were possums have the run of the courtyard, under the cloak of darkness...
This salad I made in advance, and served to friends, as a little side dish to some panfried whole garfish.
The tomatoes are just from a local green grocer that often has something interesting on offer. This day he had some black russian tomatoes, that I buy when I can, some loose baby romas and some stem on cherry tomatoes.
These were combined with torn basil, arbequina olives that I ripped apart to deseed, and a generous glug of extra virgin olive oil, sherry vinegar, white pepper and Murray river pink salt.
My tomatoes are still happy little green marbles on the numerous plants in my courtyard. But I have very low expectations of actually eating the fruit as the possums are very sneaky and are known from previous seasons to rather Houdini like in their ability to slip through nets and elaborate traps. So, I enjoy these while I can and hope that I have at least a few to show for my newly found green thumb.
Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment