Saturday, January 19, 2008

Mishima. The new, old 'wagyu'

Every restaurant worth their fancy salt has given wagyu beef a go in the last few years. It's so common (and bastardised) now that you even see it as wagyu burgers and pies. So what is the new step up from this, apart from having producer branded 100% wagyu cuts on your menu?

Mishima could be the answer. Mishima is the original Japanese cow, fortunately they lived isolated in the Sea of Japan on Mishima Island and were not cross breed with European cows in the late 1800's. The Japanese cross bred cows eventually became the Kobe (in Kobe -Japan) and wagyu (in Japan, Australia and the US) cows that we now are familiar with. The Mishima cows were able to stay pure bred and retain their unique marbling qualities when fed solely on grass.
These pure, native cows became so rare that sources suggest that there was less than 100 beasts left in the early 1980's. The meat is so prized and rare, even in Japan that my internet searches mainly turn up Iron Chef with $12 000 a beast competitions.

So with this level of exclusivity I could not resist a visit to Rockpool Bar and Grill when I heard that they had exclusive access to Mishima beef that David Blackmore has breed in Australia from the only ever exported beast. I don't pretend to understand the technicalities of breeding, but I'm told that these are being cross bred in Australia to eventually produce a 'stabilized breed'.
The thing I do understand though is taste.
Rockpool B&G are offering apart from steak cuts, Mishima burgers in addition to their usual wagyu burgers. To keep this experiment simple I taste compared the two burgers. A tough job but I did have experienced eaters to help...
I was told to expect the wagyu to be smokier and richer as it had a higher marble count. The wagyu had been raised on the usual partial grain diet. The Mishima by contrast has a lower marble count but can offer different flavours since it was raised on grass and can achieve very high marble count on this alone -unlike the wagyu.
So enough, commentary, what did it taste like I hear you ask?
Well... I found the Mishima burger meat to taste very rich and succulent, the typical flavours that you would have expected from the wagyu burger. The wagyu on the other hand was smoky, as we had been told and though also rich and opulent tasting, the Mishima offered another level of flavour that did not need the smoky character inherited from the wood fired grill. The best desciptor I came up with was one close to the Rockpool B&G home; the caramelised popcorn served with coffee, a sweet, yet nutty, dark nearly burnt caramel flavour.
Mishima it is, but it maybe some time before your local gets a hold of it, but that may not be such a bad thing.
Jack

Note, It's been a challenge putting this information together about the Mishima beef, if you have anything further to add or correct please let me know, so I can update this information.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Ed, just read your piece and it helps explain some of the info I have read about Mishima.
    I understand it's all but finished for now at Rockpool B&G in the time its taken me to get this up, only some braised secondary cuts left.
    I reckon its an interesting product from an interesting producer, though it is less expensive than wagyu ($15 Mishima burger, $18 wagyu burger) at the moment, I doubt that will last once the word gets out with the next beast available.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to know how David Blackmore is producing Mishima cattle in Australia as there has never been and never likely to be any Mishima cattle ever exported from Japan. Sounds like another marketing scheme to me. Would like to see the DNA evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual i am hijaking a post to ask an irrelevant question, but i am heading off to italy, south france, barcelona and london in 2 months time and wanted to know what food places you think i aboslutely should go to? I really want to go to Cal pep but apart from that???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon - I have no reason to doubt my information that tells me that David Blackmore has the sole Mishima bull that has ever been exported from Japan. I trust my sources, what's yours?

    Ran - Cal Pep is an absolute must, wait all day if you have to, the baby fried fishes and the clam and ham... oh I'm so jealous. I also had a great meal at Inopia in Barcelona, a modern tapas bar by the El Bulli guys brother.
    The market La Boqueria in Barcelona, is a great stroll but eating there is also fabulous. Harrods food hall in London was an absolute disappointment after Spain and France, don't go out of your way.
    I made sure I had Bouillabaise in Marsailles in France at Miramar - the most famous one, but i reckon many are as good and not 55 Euros per person (about $90Aus).
    Chez Pim, has quite a few listings for Spain, check her out.
    If anything else comes to mind I'll drop you a email,
    How was Tempura Hajime? You went recently??
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jack, great tips. I have been dreaming of bouillabiase in Marsaille for ages... mmmm

    went to Tempura Hajime last night -was fantastic! We had the earlier booking (he spaces people out over the night now) so we got some time to talk to the chef which was nice. Have you gone back this month? He mentioned the menu doesnt change much, apart from some seasonal changes?

    ReplyDelete